Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Bus Ride Ramblings.

When I manage to feel like writing for hours on end, I take a memo pad and scribble down my spontaneous reactions to the little world surrounding me as I go out. These are the best of the resulting ramblings. This one is from a bus ride.

...Meanwhile, this bus is intensely packed with Latinos and their 20 kids. We'd all be detained by now if it were Arizona. The bus too. Only because it'd wreak of landscaping and cooked rice afterward.

I wonder what the unwritten social guidelines are to interacting with kids you don't know. Offering candy is an unequivocal no-no. Hi-fives? Occasionally endearing. Me whispering "I'll rape you" as they pass by? Classic.

It amuses me to no end when guys gawk at girls walking through. It has to do with cynicism, obviously, but the details [as to why it's funny] are unclear. Is it funny to see a guy just disengage from existence to play X-Ray with a girl they'll never know? Or is it as simple as seeing a person's face melt like a monkey with a stroke?

No comments:

Post a Comment